Getting good and adequate sleep is incredibly vital to our overall health and performance. It is advised to get 7-9 hours of sleep per day but many people struggle to get that amount of sleep and there are a lot of reasons behind it. There are various tricks and tips one can try to put themselves into sleep. Many of the methods and tips are related to practicing good sleep hygiene. These are good habits one can perform on their nightly routine and promote great sleep. One underrated sleep practice is the right dietary choices. There are many solutions out there for you if you can’t sleep well. Add these to your grocery list today for it’s better food for better sleep!
Today we are going to discuss how the food you consume can affect your sleep health and what food you can consume to get better sleep. There are many food items and beverages that can make you fall asleep faster, easier and make you stay asleep longer. Making sound dietary choices and therefore consuming the right food gives us the energy we need in our daily routine. It strengthens our immune systems, improves our cognitive functions, repairs bones and tissues, heals wounds and basically leads us to healthy and productive lives. You can try following food and beverages and experience the difference.
Food for Better Sleep
Here are five food items you can consume before bed to get a better sleep.
- Almonds are an excellent source of many nutrients. One ounce of almonds contains 14% of phosphorus, 32% of manganese, 19% of magnesium and 17% of riboflavin. Since almonds are also a source of melatonin which is the sleep-regulating hormone, it is claimed that almonds help you boost the quality of sleep. Consuming adequate amounts of magnesium improves sleep quality as well.
- Walnuts are rich in tryptophan which is an amino acid that helps in making serotonin and melatonin. Walnuts are also rich in magnesium, phosphorus, manganese and copper. The fatty acids, providing ALA which is later converted into DHA in the body increases the production of serotonin which enhances brain chemicals. Therefore, consuming walnuts help you fall asleep faster.
- Kiwi is a fruit enriched in nutrients but low in calories. It contains serotonin which regulates your sleep cycle. It also includes vitamin C, flavonoids, magnesium and carotenoids which might be partly responsible for promoting sleep.
- White Rice includes lower levels of fiber, antioxidants and nutrients. However, it still contains considerable amounts of vitamins and minerals. Glycemic index is high in white rice which improves your sleep quality.
- Fatty Fish is incredibly rich in omega-3 and vitamin D. These nutrients help regulate serotonin which establishes a fixed sleeping and waking cycle. EPA and DHA in fatty fish reduce inflammation while omega-3 boosts brain health.
Drinks for Better Sleep
Here are five drinks you can consume before bed to get good sleep.
- Chamomile Tea is a very popular type of tea that provides you with many benefits. Chamomile contains flavonoids which are a class of antioxidants. It reduces inflammation that leads to chronic diseases like cancer and heart diseases. Chamomile tea boosts your immune system, reduces depression and anxiety and also improves your skin health. Chamomile tea also contains apigenin which helps to overcome insomnia and increase sleepiness.
- Tart Cherry Juice – 240ml of tart cherry juice supplies 62% of your daily need of vitamin A, 40% of your daily need of vitamin C and 14% of your daily requirement of manganese. High content of melatonin in tart cherry juice promotes sleepiness and drinking it before sleep will provide you with quality sleep.
- Passionflower Tea has been used as herbal tea to treat many health problems for many years. It is rich in flavonoid antioxidants and apigenin. Flavonoid antioxidants and apigenin reduce anxiety and the calming effect of passionflower tea promotes sleepiness.
- Warm Milk – a warm glass of milk before bed will make you sleep better. Dairy is a natural source of four sleep-promoting contents; calcium, vitamin D, melatonin and tryptophan which improve sleep especially in the elderly. Consider having a warm glass of milk before bed to be a part of your relaxing nightly routine.
- Honey – add honey to herbal tea or milk might be the perfect send-off to bed. Honey helps you to sleep soundly. It will lower the orexin levels. Orexin acts as a neurotransmitter that will make you alert. By consuming honey, your orexin level will reduce and you will be able to stay asleep for a longer time.
Other food and drinks that can help you sleep better can be listed as below.
- Cottage cheese
- Barley grass powder
- Peppermint tea
- Whole grains
- Elk meat
- Shrimp and lobster
Make sure you don’t consume food and drinks that contain caffeine, spicy food, alcohol, food and beverages with high levels of fat, protein and heavy meals before you go to bed. If you follow these tips and tricks, you will be able to get some quality sleep. But if you trouble to sleep at night despite every remedy you practice, you may be suffering from a sleep disorder and it is advised to contact your consultant.
Remember, Better Food for Better Sleep!